Westfield High School
CoEd Varsity Swim & Dive
The toolbox is awarded each week to one male swimmer and one female swimmer based on the following 4 criteria:
- Be Present
- Be a Good Teammate
- Be Humble
Congratulations to all who made the team!
A few notes on the upcoming season are below:
- There will be a full team practice (11/10/2022) today from 4:30 - 5:30 at Cub Run. All swimmers are expected to attend. Mandatory weight training tomorrow (11/11/2022) and next Friday (11/18/2022) from 3:30PM - 4:30PM in the weight room.
- Practices - Watch your email for a full practice assignments/schedule from the coaches. You are expected to be at your assigned practice. Monday/Tuesday practices are 3:30-4:30PM. Wednesday/Thursday practices are 4:30-5:30PM.
- Team Suits/Team Store: Opens 11/11/2022 and closes 11/13/2022 (Sunday). Team suits are required. Caps will be provided, team caps are required at all practices, no club or summer team caps at practice or meets. Link to be provided.
- Team Sweat Suits (warm-ups): Provided and distributed tomorrow (11/18/2022) at the weight room 3:15. Sweat suits will be provided in bags. KEEP THE BAG. They must be returned WASHED/DRYED and in the bag provided. If you lose your Team Sweats you will be billed $175.00.
- Team Back Packs: Provided and distributed tomorrow (11/18/2022) at the weight room 3:15.
- Cost: $85.00 – check made out to Westfield Athletics. This helps cover cost of team dinners, senior celebration and some of the banquet cost. Checks can be brought to practice or turned in to the Athletic Department.
- Meet the Coach Night on 11/21/2022 at 7PM - This meeting is required. Please ensure your swimmer has at least one parent/guardian attend. night on 11/21/2022 at 7PM. Our swim and dive session will be in the cafeteria. Please ensure your swimmer has at least one parent/guardian attend this session. Team expectations will be explained, coaches will be able to answer questions you may have, volunteer opportunities will be shared, and you will be given the opportunity to join our Athletic Booster Club.
- Team Pictures will be held on Thursday, 11/17/2022 from 3:00-3:30PM in the Lecture Hall
- Volunteers Needed - We rely on our volunteers to run our meets and events. Please consider volunteering! We need Head of Officials, Stroke & Turn Judges, Starter, Head Timer, Timers, Table Workers, and Team Dinner volunteers. Any help you can provide throughout the season would be greatly appreciated!
Join our coaches in the weight room at 3:30PM on Thursday 10/27 for a swim and dive interest meeting!
Anyone that has not turned in a physical form and emergency care card will not be allowed to participate in team tryouts.
Note the early start times on Monday/Tuesdays. Both tryouts and practices on Mon/Tues will begin at 3:30PM.
Swim tryouts will be held on Monday November 7th through Wednesday November 9th at Cub Run Rec Center. The team will be announced on Thursday November 10th. The schedule is below:
- Freshman & Juniors (Club & Non-Club) - Monday November 7th 3:30-4:30
- Sophomores & Seniors (Club & Non-Club) - Tuesday November 8th 3:30-4:30
- All Non-Club swimmers - Wednesday November 9th 4:30-5:30
Cuts will be made after each practice, Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. Full team practices will be held on Thursday and Friday, November 10th and 11th.
Once the team has been announced the full practice schedule will be determined. Club swimmers who swim 5 days a week will be required to attend at least 1 practice a week. If you are swimming less than 5 days a week with your club you are expected at least 2 days a week. If you do not meet this minimum requirement you will not be eligible for meets.
Each athlete must complete and submit the 2022-2023 Westfield High School Swimmer Information form by Wednesday November 2nd.
Email Coach Russ with any questions.
Dive tryouts will be held on Monday, November 7th, Tuesday November 8th, and Thursday November 10th from 4:30 - 5:45PM. Evaluation of student athletes at tryouts will include:
- Can divers execute dives from each of the five dive groups?
- How many dives can they execute and what is their overall degree of difficulty?
- How coachable is the student-athlete?
- Is the student-athlete able to execute dives safely?
Since many of our local summer league pools do not have dive teams, student athletes with no formal dive experience can still make the team! We ask that each student-athlete come with a good attitude and open mind when it comes to learning diving technique.
Email Andy Pratt with any questions.
We will begin weight training Tuesday September 6th from 3:30PM – 4:30PM in the weight room. Bring a jump rope. This program is open to freshmen and any athletes interested in trying out for the WHS Swim & Dive team. Weight training will be Tuesday & Thursday for the month of September.
Note: In order to participate you must 1.) have a current physical on file with the Student Activities office and 2.) complete the online registration at https://westfield-ar.