Girls Varsity Softball
Softball Interest Meeting on Thursday Sept.12th at 3:15pm the Driver’s Ed Classroom. We look forward to seeing all of you there.
Here are all Mandatory things needed for tryouts. VHSL physical on record with the trainer's office, completion of concussion testing player/parents, and providing the emergency care card to Coach. You can not tryout if you don't have Physical and Concussion done.
Tryouts for the 2020 season will start on Monday February 24th at 12noon to 3pm. This is for both Varsity and JV tryouts. We will meet on the softball field weather permitting. Please contact Coach Fleury if you have questions.
Make sure you have ALL your forms done they are listed on the website.
Also make sure you have all your softball equipment for tryouts as well as clothing for both cold and warm weather conditions. (Tennis shoes,Cleats, NO shorts)
Tryouts will be from the 24-27 Feb.
Softball 2020 Tryouts
Things we all need to have done before tryouts!!!!!!
1)VHSL Physical dated after May 1, 2019<--Form found HERE
2)Emergency Care Card <--Form found HERE
3)Participation Policy <-- Form found HERE
4) Concussion test Education for Students and Parents
If your physical indicates that you are prescribed a rescue medication such as an inhaler or EPIPEN, they must be present on the sidelines in order to participate.
The following are the key areas the coaches will focus on to determine the roster for the 2020 Softball Varsity and JV teams.
1. Attitude - positive, passionate, obvious that you want to be on Westfield's team, excited for opportunity, always hustling, listening to coaches
2. Conditioning - stamina, core strength, speed and agility
3. Throwing - proper Westfield throwing mechanics, accuracy, strength
4. Hitting - proper Westfield hitting mechanics (gap to gap), contact, bunting (slapping) and power
5. Fielding - proper mechanics, fundamentals, and play making ability
6. base running - proper mechanics, speed, savvy and sliding
6. Softball IQ - examples include throwing to correct base or hitting cutoff, understanding game situations, communication
Start date: TBA
Where: Softball Field
Time: 3:15 - 4:30
Must Have... 1. Physical on record with trainers
2. Emergency Care Card turned in to coaches
3. Concussion Test
Equipment: Bring all necessary softball equipment and what ever you would think is necessary to workout in the current weather conditions.
Westfield will hold it's Softball Clinic for all girls in 7th and 8th grade that want to play softball at Westfield High School in the coming years. This will be in March,TBA @ 10 am-12 noon. Weather permitting. We look forward to seeing all of you there for a fun clinic.