Girls Varsity Softball
This is the news on spring sports as of now.
Season 3 (Spring) April 12 – June 26 (First Contest Date – April 26)
So tryouts will be on April 12 as of now. It will be a shorten season this year.
As we get closer to the season we will start to have Yellow and Green days to be ready for the spring season. Please check back to see when those dates will be.
During the Westfield text book distribution we will have a station where students can submit their VHSL physicals, emergency cards and concussion education for the 20-21 school year.
Dates are Sept 21, 22, 24 and 28 from 4-7pm at Door 1. Mrs Partner will be there to collect and verify. It is always wise for the families to keep copies for their own records.
We are still offering other means to turn them in:
-Mail to school- Attn Terri Towle
-Scan/email to firstname.lastname@example.org
-Bring to the teams conditioning day.
Softball 2021 Tryouts
Things we all need to have done before tryouts!!!!!!
1)VHSL Physical dated after May 1, 2019<--Form found HERE
2)Emergency Care Card <--Form found HERE
3)Participation Policy <-- Form found HERE
4) Concussion test Education for Students and Parents
If your physical indicates that you are prescribed a rescue medication such as an inhaler or EPIPEN, they must be present on the sidelines in order to participate.
Tryouts for the 2021 season will start on Monday April 12th @4pm, as of right now. This is for both Varsity and JV tryouts. We will meet on the softball field weather permitting. Please contact Coach Fleury if you have questions.
Make sure you have ALL your forms done they are listed on the website.
Also make sure you have all your softball equipment for tryouts as well as clothing for both cold and warm weather conditions. (Tennis shoes,Cleats, NO shorts)
Tryouts will be from the 12-15th April.
he following are the key areas the coaches will focus on to determine the roster for the 2021 Softball Varsity and JV teams.
1. Attitude - positive, passionate, obvious that you want to be on Westfield's team, excited for opportunity, always hustling, listening to coaches
2. Conditioning - stamina, core strength, speed and agility
3. Throwing - proper Westfield throwing mechanics, accuracy, strength
4. Hitting - proper Westfield hitting mechanics (gap to gap), contact, bunting (slapping) and power
5. Fielding - proper mechanics, fundamentals, and play making ability
6. base running - proper mechanics, speed, savvy and sliding
6. Softball IQ - examples include throwing to correct base or hitting cutoff, understanding game situations, communication
Westfield will hold it's Softball Clinic for all girls in 7th and 8th grade that want to play softball at Westfield High School in the coming years. This will be on a Saturday sometime in April,TBA @ 10 am-12 noon. Weather permitting. We look forward to seeing all of you there for a fun clinic.